Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Serving Size: 6
2 tbsp olive oil
2 lb 4 oz (1 kg) onions, sliced finely
1 tbsp dextrose
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
sea salt and pepper, to taste
13 oz (375 gr.) puff pastry
½ cup (25 gr.) parmesan, grated
1 cup (150 gr.) goat cheese, crumbled or feta
2 tbsp rosemary
- Place olive oil and onions in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the dextrose, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 F (220°C.
- Roll out pastry to a 8 x 16 inch (20 x 40 cm) rectangle on a lightly floured surface. (Or make individual servings, like I did). Trim edges with a knife and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Score a 0.5 inch (1 cm) border around the edge of the pastry, taking care not to cut all the way through to the bottom. Prick pastry with a fork and sprinkle parmesan within scored edges.
- Place tonion on top of pastry base. Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. (Note: begin checking after 10 minutes, depending on your oven)
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with goat cheese (or feta) and rosemary.